Roofing Companies Near Me in Iowa City
Finding a Licensed Roofing Companies Near Me
When you are looking at ways to take care of your business, the roofing system may not be one of the first areas you think about. However, the roof is perhaps the most integral part of your commercial building. If your roofing system needs maintenance work, minor or major repairs, or a full replacement, then finding a commercial roofing contractor in the area is your best option. You do not want to attempt it alone and you do not want to let just anyone work on your commercial roofing system. It is of the utmost importance to find a commercial roofing contractor that you can trust, and listed below are some things you can do to ensure you are working with the best of the best:
Ask For References
Word-of-mouth recommendations have been around forever, and even now with all the advances in technology and media, it is still the best type of advertising a company can get. It is also the number one way people still get ideas and short lists for who to work with for their roofing project. You can talk to friends and neighbors and other businesses in your area that have had roofing work done for their suggestions and recommendations. Talk to them about who they worked with, what their experience was like, if they would recommend the contractor, and what they think about the work now after the fact. This can be a great starting point for your search for commercial roofing experts in your area.
Check Insurance and License
As a business owner, you need to protect your investment. When you have anyone do any work on your commercial building, you want to make sure they know what they are doing and that they are properly trained and certified. The roofing contractor you work with has to have the proper documentation to prove that they have adequate insurance coverage and all necessary licenses. It is well within your right to ask to see proof of this, and you should do so before they ever step foot on your property or begin any work on your roof. A legitimate contractor will have no trouble showing you this verification and putting your mind at ease, so if they resist or give you the run around, consider it a red flag and find someone else you can trust.
Get Estimates and Quotes in Writing
When you are going over your short list of contractors in the area you are thinking about hiring, you will want to start calling them and getting quotes or estimates. This is necessary so you can compare costs and services. It is important that you get these estimates in writing and review them carefully. It is also important to ask for as much detail as possible when they give you the quote so you can see what each part of the project costs. Comparing these itemized lists will help you see where someone may be charging you too much or trying to cut corners to reduce costs. This information is critical in the process of choosing the commercial contractor that is right for your needs.
Price Shouldn’t be the Deciding Factor
Price is important, and you cannot pay for roofing services you don’t have the money for, but price is not the only thing you need to be considering. Never choose a roofing company for your roof repair needs based on price alone. Doing so can set you up as a victim of fraud and scammers. Cheap bids are often given for what ends up being cheap work that will break down faster or fail safety and code inspections later on. You want to spend as little as possible, of course, but you don’t want to be ripped off either. You do not have to go with the most expensive price you are given from a contractor, but it is usually a good idea to not grab the lowest bid that is thrown at you either.
Always Avoid Storm Chasers
Many areas experience serve weather and storms and after such events, business owners may become victim to what are known as contract storm chasers. If someone shows up and wants to talk to you about doing repair work on your roof without you having contacted them or they say they were passing through and noticed damage to your roof and offer to take care of it for you, decline their services. They are almost always scammers and are looking to take advantage of people in need or those who are susceptible to the scam because they are worried about actual damage that might have been done to their roofs. Remember that you never have to accept services offered even if they give you a quote.
Skills of the Commercial Roofing Contractor Are Important
Choosing the right commercial roofer to work on your roof is key, and once you have your primary contractor in mind, do one last check to see if the contractor themselves can pass the following three qualifications:
- Experience on All Roof Types – No two businesses are alike and no two commercial buildings are the same, however there are similarities that can be seen from one roof to another. You want to make sure your contractor knows your roof type and style and has done successful work on similar roofs in the past. They may not have worked on a roof exactly like yours, but if they have similar experience, it is better than hiring someone who has never worked on a commercial roof like yours or never worked on a commercial roofing system at all.
- Modern Techniques and Approaches – There are always new advances throughout the roofing industry when it comes to materials, designs, tools, processes, and applications. You will be best served by finding a contractor who understands these new trends and methods and who has left old and outdated ides behind, embracing modern approaches to roofing maintenance and installation. You can get your roof done in any style you want, but you need to ensure that your contractor has the skills and knowledge to get it done right.
- Provide Current, Verifiable References – You have to locate a roofing company that can offer you reviews, contacts, and references from recent past customers. Be sure to check the references given to make sure they are valid and correct. You will also want to check the dates to make sure you are not looking at glowing reviews from 3 years ago and missing the poor reviews from 6 months ago. The best review means little when it is old and there is nothing positive for the recent years. A legit successful contractor will have plenty of recent reviews to offer upon request.
Trees Can Cause Roof Damage
It is fairly common knowledge that the roof is a key component to any building or structure and that it is essential to the overall integrity and security of a home or business. So naturally, we want to preserve it in any way we can to protect out home and family or business investments. Most people know that roofs can be damaged by wind, rain, and hail, but one surprising source of roof damage is trees. To keep your roof in the best possible shape and to reduce the chances of your trees damaging the roofing system, be mindful of these very real and very serious dangers:
- Dangling and Overhanging Limbs – Obviously, a big tree tilting over your home or a giant branch of the ancient oak tree in front of your business is a threat to your roof and your home in general. This threat needs to be carefully evaluated and addressed as needed. You run the very real risk of limbs breaking due to age and weight or being snapped off during a storm. A large branch can punch a hole right through your roof or cause the entire roofing system to collapse upon impact. Cutting back tree limbs from your roofing system or opting for tree removals are the best ways to minimize your risk of branches damaging your roof.
- Clogged Gutters – Plant matter can quickly accumulate in your gutters and if they are not cleaned out on a regular basis, this can lead to major problems for your roofing system. If you have a lot of trees around your home or business, a bad rainstorm can bring down enough leaves and debris to clog your cutters in a matter of a day or two. When they are clogged, your guttered are basically useless and cannot drain water away from your roofing system. When the gutters can’t drain the water, it can pool on the roof and seep into your home or business and damage your property in a matter of moments.
- Leaves and Needles – Leaf material and other plant matter that falls can not only clog the gutters, but can also gather on the roof and damage the shingles. Dead plants will decompose as moisture is trapped in the accumulating leaf litter. The moisture will also cause the shingles and other roofing materials to decompose and weaken. If this is allowed to progress without correction, the decay can spread into the deeper components of your roofing system and affect support beams and other interior structure of the roof of your home or business.
- Excessive Shade – Trees are sought after in landscapes because of their beauty and for the comforting shade that they can provide. However, too much of a good thing can be a bad thing, and this is true for shade as well. With too many trees, the rays of the sun can’t get to your roof and dry it out. Roofs that stay too damp and shady can suffer from roof damage that is caused by mold and mildew. You can remedy this issue and protect your roof by thinning the trees or removing some of them so that the sun can reach your roof for at least a few hours each day to keep mold and mildew at bay.
- Critter and Pest Infestations – When you have trees, you are going to have wildlife. Birds, squirrels, and bugs all live in trees, and when you have trees in your landscape, you will have them living there as well. Most people do not mind sharing the yard with these animals, but f they can easily get from their tree houses to your house or office building, they may well try to move in. Pests can chew their way into your roofing system and cause damage both on the exterior and interior of your home. Keeping branches back from your roof and working to keep all gaps sealed will help guard against unwanted tenants.
Contact Us Today
To learn more about how to avoid roof damage from trees and how to keep your trees in tip-top shape, be sure to contact us today. Our team of roofing and tree care experts can help you with all of your needs. If you are asking yourself the question: where can I find tree service near me? The answer is Kruse Tree Trim & Construction. We can help with design and new installation projects, roof replacements, storm clean up, and repairs, roof inspections, and basic maintenance and repair work. No job is too big or too small for our team, and we can help with any tree removal and care services so you can protect your roofing system now and down the road. Whether you have a commercial or residential property, we can take care of you and your roofing system. Call now for a consultation appointment or an on-site evaluation and estimate.